Saturday, January 7, 2012

The $58 400watt 5000k CFL video light

I've been working on creating a cheap yet still professional-grade lighting kit for personal use. The first light I've built is a 400watt CFL. Here's the breakdown for how it all went together:

Promaster Light Stand - $30.00 (local photo store which will never see my business again)
CowboyStudio AC Socket - $8.00 (amazon)
Photo Basics 4 plug Adapter - $8.00 (amazon)
27watt 5009k CFL Bulb x 4 - $12.00 (Lowes)*

_______________________________
Total - $58.00

NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOTAL - Cowboy Studio Soft Box

The light, as it is arranged now produces the equivalent of  400watts of incandescent light which, if I am not mistaken, is about 6,400 lumens of brightness. However, the total wattage is only 108watts. The Basic Socket adapter handles 110watts and each socket in the 4 Plug Adapter handles 30watts. There is also a 250watt Socket which I will be using to build a more substantial light. I think I can boost it up to 1000watts, or 16,000 lumens of brightness for around $90.00. I'll post more when that is complete.

I have tested this light with a still camera and am still waiting for delivery of my new Sony Nex 5n so I can do proper video tests. Spec-wise, though, it should all work out. I will post more once I've had the chance to build a proper 3-point lighting kit.  For now, here's the little bastard I built:


400watt 6400 lumen CFL video light with Soft Box

NOTES:
* Here is a link to a five pack of 30watt 5500k bulbs on amazon, this is actually the better bulb to use than the 5000k bulbs from lowes (LINK HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment